SIMIN AND FARZAN
Simin and Farzan is a paper puppet theatre performance based on Alexander Pushkin’s Ruslan and Ludmila but in an Iranian atmosphere. The inspiration for the puppets was taken from Iranian illustrated books of Qajar era (1789-1906) and the show is accompanied by Iranian traditional music. The play starts with a wedding ceremony. Simin and Farzan are about to marry. There are two other rival suiters who are in love with Simin and wish to marry her. Suddenly, an unexpected thing happens and Simin is gone. So Farzan and the two other rivals start a journey to find her.
- The story is adapted from Alexander Pushkin's Ruslan and Ludmila
- Director, author: Fahimeh Abedini
- Scenery and lighting designer: Sadeq Sadeqi-pour
- Illustrator, puppet and background designer: Raf’at Hashemi-Sisakht
- Illustrator, puppet designer: Marziye Sarmashghi
- Musician (tar player): Arash Lotfi
- Musician (tombak and percussion player): Mana Javadi
- Cast: Fahimeh Abedini, Sadeq Sadeqi-pour
MAAHEE THEATRE GROUP, ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF IRAN
MaaHee Theatre Group was founded in 2017 and is interested in adaptations of wonderful literary and musical pieces from around the world. It has adapted pieces such as Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana, Sophocles’ Antigone, Maurice Maeterlinck’s Pelleas and Melisande and the story of Adam & Eve from the Book of Genesis. Most of the group members have studied puppet theatre and have been experiencing it as puppeteers in many puppets shows. They are keen to create fantastic moments with puppets.
MaaHee Theatre Group
#64, Gandhi St, Tehran
Islamic Republic of Iran